Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Spaghetti Sqaush

The past few days have been very mellow around here so I've been doing a little more cooking than usual. Yesterday I made a yellow tofu curry with brown rice, which was good but it wasn't great. I'll have to keep working on that recipe.

A few days ago when I went to the store, I saw a spaghetti squash. I've never made a spaghetti squash before, but I figured since I had some time on my hands, I'd do some experimenting.

According to various Pinterest pins, there are several ways to cook a spaghetti squash, but theoretically the best way to do it is to cut it horizontally into rounds rather than vertically. The fibers grow circularly inside the skin so the length is more similar to actual spaghetti noodles. It was a little hard to cut up, but once I managed that I threw in the oven at 350 (my oven temp runs really hot) with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. And this was what it looked like after I roasted it for 40 minutes and took a fork to it!

Not too shabby eh?
While the squash was roasting, I threw together a veggie packed sauce because I was a little worried that the squash might be kind of bland (I was very wrong, but the sauce was sooo good. No regrets!) I sautéed half a white onion, added some zucchini, sliced mushrooms and cubed tofu. I added half a jar of traditional Ragu sauce and let it simmer until my squash was done. 

Pretty similar to spaghetti noodles right? 

The final product!
This meal was great and tasted wonderful in leftover form as well. Because I was only cooking for one (that sounds so depressing), I made one squash last for four meals (not so depressing). Cheap, delicious and filling!


No comments:

Post a Comment